xsl-list

Re: [xsl] dynamic fo:table-column width?

2007-05-30 07:51:59
On Wed, 2007-05-30 at 09:41 -0500, Eliot Kimber wrote:
One way to do it might be to wrap the content of the column you want to
be dynamic within fo:inline with a keep-together.within-line="always".
This should disallow breaking of the line. By then using automatic table
layout, you should get what you want, at least for that line.

Another solution is to create an XSLT extension function that can
estimate the rendered length of the content and then use that estimate
to set the column width. I've done this in Java using the standard Java
graphics API. It requires that you know the current font and font size
(which presumably you can know if you're generating the output), but the
programming was relatively easy, if memory serves (I don't have the code
to hand).

Otherwise there is direct way to do what you want.

Thanks for the input.  Unfortunately I'm using fop to render the pdf and
the auto table-layout isn't currently supported.  I'll give the
extension function a go.  If any other ideas pop up, please let me
know!

Thanks,
Luke