xsl-list

RE: [xsl] XSLT and XML Schema

2007-06-13 08:30:30
Well, in principle an XML Schema document is XML so you can use it as an
input to your stylesheet. But it's not easy to process unless you know the
coding standards that have been followed, because there are many different
ways of writing equivalent schemas. The next Saxon release will offer an
"predigested" XML representation of the schema component model that aims to
help with that.

Incidentally, attributes should be regarded as unordered: the concept of
"the third attribute" is not very meaningful.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/

-----Original Message-----
From: Garvin Riensche [mailto:g(_dot_)riensche(_at_)gmx(_dot_)net]
Sent: 13 June 2007 15:51
To: XSL-LIST
Subject: [xsl] XSLT and XML Schema

Hi,

I am looking for tutorials about the use of XML Schema within
Stylesheets where the schema is used to get information about
the source document structure. I know how I can use XML
Schema for validation of a document or a part of it but what
I am looking for is how I can get information about the
source document structure from the schmema.

Let me post an example:

Suppose the following XML as input together with his
associated schema.
The parser will additionally get the parameter SrcName='A'

<class id="2" pkgid="1" classname="A">
      <field id="21" type="basic" typename="int" name="publ_int_i"/>
      <field id="22" type="basic" typename="long" name="long_d"/>
      <modifier modified_id="21" modifier="public"/> </class>

When creating the stylesheet (which should be created
dynamically later), I know that there is "class" Element with
3 attributes but I don't know the name of the attributes. Is
it possible to get the names of the attributes from the
schema so that they can be used in a <xsl:match> element like

<xsl:match
pattern="//class[*ask-schema-which-attribute-is-the-third-one(
)=$SrcName*]>
?

Maybe this sounds confusing but what this all is about is a
comparison between so called "conditional transformations
(cts)", which are implemented in prolog and are used to
transform prolog facts, and xslt.
The prolog facts are translated to XML and I am trying to
translate these cts to xslt to see what is more powefull, cts or xslt.

Regards,
Garvin

--~--