xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Incrementing a counter

2007-06-13 16:51:01

From what I understand about variables in XSLTs, you can't change the
value. So if that's true, how can I increment a counter?

variables work in xslt the way they do in mathematics and in other
declarative programming languages. beginners coming from oter
programming languages often try to overuse variables, the trick
usually is to express the desired result as a function of the input and
just code it naturally as xsl. For example here you want to output the
current number so you don't want all that x=x+1 weirdness, you just want
to output the current number which (depending on your input) might be
just
<xsl:number/>
or perhaps
<xsl:value-of select="position()"/>

It sounds like your problem is a "grouping problem" for which in xslt
see jeni's site (google) or use xslt2 (eg saxon8) which makes solving such
problems much easier as it has a specific grouping construct
(xsl:for-each-group)

david