xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Looking Not Working for No Obvious Reason

2007-06-20 11:35:41

I must be doing something wrong but I can't figure out what it might
be--the fact that some input values work and others don't is odd.

usual cause of cause is user error, strings that look the same but
aren't due to white space or whatever. Can you post an actual example
that fails to match?

The real mapping is small enough I could rewrite the code to use
choose/when for the mappings but this seemed like the most efficient way
to do a two-way mapping in XSLT.

Normaly I'd use a key for such lookups, which ought to be more efficient
(or as efficient if   your optimizing xslt engine decided to make an
internal key anyway)

<xsl:key name="x" match="item" use="shorttitle"/>

Then

   <xsl:function
     name="func:getShortTitleForSection" as="xs:string">
     <xsl:param
       as="xs:string"
       name="sectionBaseTitle"/>
  <xsl:sequence

select="key('x',$sectionBaseTitle,$sectionTitleMap),$sectionBaseTitle)[1]"/>
   </xsl:function>

(which isn't quite the same as if you have two titles with teh same
short name this will use the first long name, whereas you's would use
the short name, but that could be fixed but I assume it doesn't happen
anyway in a static mapping built into the stylesheet.

as="document-node()">
     <xsl:document>

those two bits aren't needed (but perhaps documenting them is good form)
as the default behaviour is to implictly make a document node (for xslt
1 compat, mainly) or maybe that's the cause of your lookup failures,
perhaps sometimes you have got duplicated short titles?

David