xsl-list

[xsl] Retrieving "markup" hidden in comments

2007-06-28 08:39:43
Hi,

I'm using XSLT 2.0 with Saxon 8B.

My problem is:
I have xml files which contain Arbortext Math markup which has been placed

in comments, e.g.
<!--<FORMULA><F>-21.6&amp;lt;M<INF>V</INF>&amp;lt;-14.9</F></FORMULA>-->
The reason being that the math markup is not valid according to the DTD
being used. I have no control over this. However, I want to be able to
process this "hidden" markup as if it were real elements.

I can retrieve the comment text string, but of course that's all it is - a

string. Is there any way to coerce that into being treated as an element
or document-node? I can achieve the effect I want by writing the content
of each comment out to a file (using a character map or
disable-output-escaping) and read them in again on a second pass. This
works, but is rather messy, and I'd rather do it in one pass.

Is there a way to emulate the effect of document() but on the content of a

variable rather than a file? Other than that, I guess the other option is
to write a parser for the math markup in xslt, which I'd rather not have
to do :-(

Thanks for any suggestions.

Regards,

Bruce

This email (and attachments) are confidential and intended for the addressee(s)
only. If you are not the intended recipient please notify the sender, delete
any copies and do not take action in reliance on it. Any views expressed are
the author's and do not represent those of IOP, except where specifically
stated. IOP takes reasonable precautions to protect against viruses but accepts
no responsibility for loss or damage arising from virus infection. For the
protection of IOP's systems and staff emails are scanned automatically.

IOP Publishing Limited Registered in England under Registration No 467514.
Registered Office: Dirac House, Temple Back, Bristol BS1 6BE England
Vat No GB 461 6000 84.