xsl-list

Re: [xsl] XSL Project Shut Down

2007-06-28 16:00:39
On Friday June 29 2007 07:30:12 am Karl Stubsjoen wrote:
My XSL project just got shut down.  Why?  Because it goes against our
companies standard: .NET 2.0 .ASPX + 3rd party components (drag and
drop controls).  Why else?  Because XSL is hard to maintain, and I'm
really the only one here who knows it very well.  I am, of course
echoing the reasons given to me.

I am at a loss to see why you or  others feel that XSL is hard to maintain?

If anything I find that the functional nature makes it significantly easier
than trying to maintain JSP/ASP/php/ruby riddled html templates. About the
only annoying thing is the lack of good xml diffing tools when you get a
conflict in <insert your source  control management system here>

How much more granularity can you ask for? You get the  ability to create html
from small , finite "functions" that are responsible for only doing 1 thing.
Its infinitely more re-useable than doing the same thing with a traditional
language   (unless your  using lisp as your templating language =)

I suspect the real reason is simply because "they"  can't be bothered thinking
and their current  solution means they don't have to think as they already
know it. XSL has it's problems. IMHO the former is not one of them and the
latter is the hardest to overcome.

Andrew M

It is a sad day.

Karl S.