xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Removing an XML Attribute

2007-07-05 08:58:47
Hi,

At 07:11 PM 7/4/2007, was written:
On Wed, Jul 04 2007 19:10:22 +0100, Shaun(_dot_)McDonald(_at_)jetblue(_dot_)com
wrote:
> I came up with something that appears to work, only I'm not sure if
> there is a caveat to doing it this way.
>
> Since I'm transforming almost 100 files, I want to make sure nothing
> bites me in the rear.
>
> Using XSLT 2.0, Saxon 8.8
>
> <xsl:template match="*">
>   <xsl:copy>
>     <xsl:choose>
>      <xsl:when test="not(@change)">
>        <xsl:copy-of select="@* "/>
>      </xsl:when>
>      <xsl:otherwise/>
>    </xsl:choose>
>    <xsl:apply-templates/>
>  </xsl:copy>
> </xsl:template>
>
> I'm still spot-checking the files, but so far it seems to have removed
> the @change attribute only, which is my desired output.

That would appear to be because @change is the only attribute on that
particular element.

Your template copies all attributes if @change is not present, and
copies no attributes if it is present.

(If you have just one test, you can use xsl:if instead of xsl:choose,
and when you do use xsl:choose, the xsl:otherwise is optional.)

Try just:

   <xsl:copy-of select="@*[not(self::change)]"/>

I'm afraid this isn't going to work, on account of attribute elements not appearing on the self:: axis. (A small but significant wrinkle.)

You might have to work around just a bit more:

<xsl:template match="*">
   <xsl:copy>
     <xsl:apply-templates select="@*"/>
     <xsl:apply-templates/>
  </xsl:copy>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="@*">
  <xsl:copy-of select="."/>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="@change"/>

When you apply templates to the attributes, only the @change attributes will match the empty template, and will hence be dropped. Other attributes will match the "next best" template matching attributes, which copies them.

Cheers,
Wendell

Wendell Piez