xsl-list

[xsl] Re: XSLT 2.0: Schema-aware processor: What are the compelling advantages over a non-SA processor?

2007-07-19 14:26:41

Another processor that claims both stability and compliance to XSLT
2.0
+ SA is Altova's one, which is part of the free AltovaXML set.
Unfortunately, there is no forum, no mailing list and no response from
Altova about compliance issues, state of bugs or planned features,
which
makes it a bit hard to give a good judgment. I send several reports to
them about bugs and non-compliance, but unfortunately never received a
reply.... Hopefully one day they decide to give more openness about the

product, the planning, the bugs etc.

There is a forum at the following page,
http://www.altova.com/forum/default.aspx?g=forum. As always, Support can
be reached from the following page,
http://www.altova.com/support_center.html. We have received your reports
about bugs, (not all claims were true, and any bugs we confirmed, we
gave you a tracking number so you could always follow up with us or
check our release notes pages,
http://www.altova.com/releasenotes/Default.aspx. Your comments have also
been forwarded and we appreciate any feedback as to improve our
products.

In addition, as far as I know, it is not possible to use Altova from a
programming environment (other then opening a shell and start it), it
is
not possible to provide your own uri resolvers, xml parsers or message
listeners etc. But for a free non open source product, it can help you
test the basics of XSLT + SA, just don't use it in a production
environment (but I believe it is not meant for that anyway).

We have a powerful com interface that can be used to integrate our
processor into other projects. There is a general description under
http://www.altova.com/altovaxml.html. The online documentation is found
under: http://www.altova.com/manual2007/AltovaXML/ . This explains how
it can be used. AltovaXML can be used from the command line, via a COM
interface, in Java programs, and in .NET applications. If you download
the application (for free) there are a few (small) examples showing how
it is used in Java, CPP and C#.

Altova claim that their XSLT 2.0 product is schema-aware. (I've been
able to
get output validation working but not input validation. If anyone can
tell
me where I went wrong, please let me know!)

I had no problems with input validation. The latest version of AltovaXML
is now 9.3.0.0 If you can include a specific example that would help.

Simple test result
Validation Error
Element <head> is not allowed under element <html>. at html
C:\Program Files\Altova\AltovaXML2007\videos.xslt
Line 4, Character 4

Best regards,

Jerry

... Jerry Sheehan