xsl-list

RE: [xsl] Nodeset problem

2007-07-21 11:20:17
I suspect the code you posted isn't the code you executed (variables $nodes
is undeclared - perhaps $foonodes intended???) - which means that it's
difficult to distinguish your real error from any typos introduced in the
transcription process.

But I'm suspicious of contains($foolist,$foo) - I suspect you're falling
into the trap of imagining that contains() tests whether a set of values
contains a value. It actually tests whether a string contains a substring.
You probably just want ($foolist = $foo). But the whole lookup would be
better done using keys.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/

-----Original Message-----
From: andy white [mailto:andy_p_white(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk]
Sent: 20 July 2007 11:20
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: [xsl] Nodeset problem

Hi All,

Being new to xsl, this has me completly befuzzled - either
that or my brain gave up and went on holiday!  - so any help
would be greatly appreciated.

I have an XML file that I'm parsing that has many entries of
data.  I can happily extract the data but I need to validate
certain components of it.

The problem is that what I need to validate against is data
contained within another file (containing lookup data if you like):

<Groups>
<Company ID='000011'>
<Foo ID='01234567'/>
<Foo ID='13123123'/>
<Foo ID='1232132'/>
<Foo ID='55534332'/>
</Company>
<Company ID='000131'>
<Foo ID='23423432'/>
<Foo ID='23236543'/>
<Foo ID='0043543'/>
</Company>
</Groups>

So, if I grab the string 0043543 from the original XML I need
to compare it with the lookup to see if it exists.  If it
does then I do nothing, otherwise I record a failure entry.
(The check should be against any company - it's simply to see
if the string exists <anywhere> in the above file)

The stylesheet I'm calling with the original data is:

    <xsl:variable name="lookupfile" select="lookup.xml'"/>
    <xsl:variable name="foonodes" select="document($lookupfile)"/>

    <xsl:key name="list" match="entry" use="Foo_Number"/>

    <xsl:template match="/">
        <FooValidator>

        <xsl:for-each
select="/doc/entry[generate-id(.)=generate-id(key('list',Foo_N
umber))]">
            <xsl:variable name="foo" select="Foo_Number"/>

            <!-- Call foocomparison to see if "foo" exists in
lookup file (nodes) -->
            <xsl:call-template name="foocomparison">
                <xsl:with-param name="foo" select="$foo"/>
                <xsl:with-param name="foolist" select="$nodes"/>
            </xsl:call-template>
        </xsl:for-each>

        </FooValidator>
    </xsl:template>

    <xsl:template name="foocomparison">
        <xsl:param name="foo" select="normalize-space(.)"/>
        <xsl:param name="foolist"/>

        <xsl:choose>

            <!--
            <xsl:when test="not(string-length($mid)=0) and
$foolist[contains(.,$foo)]">
                <xsl:text>Valid FOO</xsl:text>
            </xsl:when>
            <xsl:otherwise>
                <Invalid>
                    <xsl:text>Error: FOO doesn't exist: </xsl:text>
                    <foo><xsl:value-of select="$mid"/></foo>
                </Invalid>
            </xsl:otherwise>
            -->

            <xsl:when test="not(string-length($foo)=0) and
contains($foolist,$foo)">
                <xsl:text>Valid FOO</xsl:text>
            </xsl:when>
            <xsl:otherwise>
                <Invalid>
                    <xsl:text>Error : FOO doesn't exist </xsl:text>
                    <foo><xsl:value-of select="$foo"/></foo>
                </Invalid>
            </xsl:otherwise>

        </xsl:choose>
    </xsl:template>

But this just always gives me Error:... even if the value I
pass in exists anywhere in the lookup file :(

I'm guessing that the $nodes variable is rubbish and not
doing what I think it should?

Is this complete nonsense?  Or am I going insane?    Laaaa la
la de dee di dum  - yup   :)

Thanks All,

Andy

--~--