xsl-list

Re: [xsl] In Search of People Who Know About and/or Use the, Document Function

2007-09-07 09:42:09
On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 08:39:14 -0600, Andrew Welch <andrew(_dot_)j(_dot_)welch(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:

That aside, constructing the page using client side calls to the
document() is certainly something I hadn't considered - it seems a
very modular almost MVC approach.

Welcome to the Dark Side, Andrew! I knew you'd cross the line sooner or later. ;-)

So yeah, if anyone has been wondering why on earth I have such a Bee in my Bonnet over client-side XSLT document() function support it's for this exact reason. I've been somewhat quietly building a client/server XSLT MVC framework[1,2] in which the document function is the single most important piece of the puzzle, and while it's still a bit early to be making a release**, here's a fairly basic example of how combining server side XSLT 2.0 (In this case, Saxon on .NET) with a standards compliant client-side XSLT 1.0 (in this case, *ANY* major browser other than Opera ;-)),

Add one part: http://personplacething.info/service/proxy/return-xml-from-html/?uri=http://www.myspace.com/umemusic//html:html *

With one part: <code-snippet> <doc:html href="/service/proxy/return-xml-from-html?uri=http://www.myspace.com/umemusic//html:html"; type="screen-scrape" id="profile_bandschedule" /> </code-snippet>

And one part: <?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="/transform/client-side/atomictalk-browser.xsl"?>

Shake (never, *EVER* stir!) lightly. > Enjoy! > http://personplacething.info/screen-scrape/

NOTE: It gets *MUCH* better than this silly example, I promise. :D

* Life sure does get interesting when the entire web of HTML documents suddenly becomes your own personal playground of limitless XML data. ;-) ** For those in the greater Salt Lake City, UT area on September 25th, 2007 at the Utah Ruby Users Group I'm speaking with Tim Heuer from Microsoft, Tim on IronRuby[5], myself on Ruby.NET[6], and at that event I will be releasing[1,2,3,4]

[1] http://extf.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/WebApp/transform/
[2] http://atomictalk.googlecode.com/svn/trunk
[3] http://extf.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/Xameleon
[4] http://nuxleus.com/dev/