xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Trying to understand root-less or document-node-less nodes

2007-09-17 04:09:45
On 9/17/07, Abel Braaksma <abel(_dot_)online(_at_)xs4all(_dot_)nl> wrote:
Hi list people!

I stumbled across this ('this' is explained later) when I realized that

   <xsl:variable name="root">
        <test1 />
        <test2 />
    </xsl:variable>

can be queried by an xpath using the simple $root/* axis. In other
words: children of $root. And that this felt non-analogous to the following:

    <xsl:function name="my:rootless">
        <test1 />
        <test2 />
    </xsl:function>

What you're describing is the same as typing the variable as="element()" eg:

<xsl:variable name="root" as="element()+">
  <test1 />
  <test2 />
</xsl:variable>

By adding as="element()+" the variable goes from a root with two child
elements that are siblings (eg to access <test1/> use $root/test1) to
a sequence of elements with no root and that aren't siblings (to
access <test1/> use $root[1])

Thanks for any insightful insights ;)

I don't know why it's like that - I'm guessing it's because they don't
share a common parent that they aren't siblings, but I can't find
anything to back that up.

--
Andrew Welch
http://andrewjwelch.com