xsl-list

Re: [xsl] extend an xslt template defined elsewhere?

2007-10-19 14:34:06
On 10/19/07, Scott Trenda <Scott(_dot_)Trenda(_at_)oati(_dot_)net> wrote:
Since the attribute has to go at the top of the template, you're stuck
doing another "copy-except-for-glossdef" transformation on the
docbook-transformed data, UNLESS the following is true for your purposes
in this case:

I don't see any attribute-sets in docbook.xsl (version 4.4)
How do I do a "copy-except-for-glossdef" routine?

- Your docbook.xsl stylesheet gives glossdef's output dd an
attribute-set, like the following: (NOTE: this would be defined in
docbook.xsl)
  <xsl:attribute-set name="glossdef">
    <xsl:attribute name="attr1">attribute one</xsl:attribute>
    <xsl:attribute name="attr2">attribute two</xsl:attribute>
  </xsl:attribute-set>
  <xsl:template match="glossentry/glossdef">
    <dd xsl:use-attribute-sets="glossdef">
      ... internal stuff here ...
    </dd>
  </xsl:template>

- Your output would be valid if the glossdef-dd's class attribute was
either empty (or had a different value) in the case that the
glossdef/@role attribute was empty in the input.
  (e.g. <glossdef role=""/> => <dd class=""/>)

If this IS the case, you can do this:

<xsl:import href="docbook.xsl"/>
<xsl:attribute-set name="glossdef">
  <xsl:attribute name="class">
    <xsl:value-of select="@role"/>
  </xsl:attribute>
</xsl:attribute-set>

Looks reasonable if I can create this functionality, without modifying
the existing glossdef template:

    <dd xsl:use-attribute-sets="glossdef">
         ... internal stuff here ...
    </dd>

Attribute-sets with the same name are allowed to be declared in an
imported stylesheet and the importing stylesheet at the same time; when
this happens, the two are merged, and if any attributes with the same
name declared in both, the one with the highest import precedence (the
importing stylesheet's one, in this case) will win.

It's a bit of a fringe case here, but definitely a good example of why
<xsl:attribute-set/> is useful. If you have control over docbook.xsl and
frequently import it into other stylesheets, I'd recommend declaring
attribute-sets to correspond to the output elements in the main
templates, for reasons like this one. It allows you more control over
exactly what can be extended later.

~ Scott