xsl-list

Re: [xsl] order in the xml prolog

2007-11-20 13:09:47
On 20/11/2007, Michael Kay <mike(_at_)saxonica(_dot_)com> wrote:
I was mildly surprised to discover that comments and PIs are allowed before
the DOCTYPE declaration.

Its always been allowed by XML.

The DOCTYPE declaration is newly created by the serializer, it is not a copy
of the DOCTYPE declaration in your source document. It will always precede
any nodes that are present in the result tree. There's no way to control
this. I can't imagine any circumstances where you really need to generate
comments and PIs before the DOCTYPE declaration.

I suppose it could be possible that a PI to point at an OASIS catalog
was needed to resolve external entity references within the DTD.