xsl-list

Re: [xsl] The identity transform and attributes

2008-01-21 09:21:20

What's however still beyond me (and maybe I missed it on this
afternoon's very interesting thread) is why @* uses the combined syntax
of * (element) and @ (attribute),

No, * doesn't mean element it means "principal node kind" which is
element on all axes except attribute: (where it's attribute and
namespace:: (ehere it is namespace) this pricipal node kind stuff is
introduced (I assume) just to give a ratinale for @* to mean whet it
means, but the particular formulation has the effect that self:: axis
could only be used with difficulty on attribute nodes in XSLT 1 and
still in xslt 2 it isn't as natural as one might like.

(i.e., node() is supposed to be "any" node imo, but this is
arguably not true as it does not include attribute nodes),

yes it does include attribute nodes,

attribute::node() and self::node() both select attribute nodes.
node() on its own is short for child::node() which does not select
attribute nodes because there are never any attributes in the child
axis, it is teh child axis that does not include attributes, not the
node() node test.

David