xsl-list

[xsl] manage errors and terminations, child thread of Re: [saxon] Too many attribute value templates? ++

2008-01-25 02:56:10
Hi Florent,

I find xsl:message with @terminate useful, yet, somewhat radical.  It
might be nice to also pass it a closure function/template(/or selector
of) as attribute/child, to possibly clean things up, in various ways,
before dying.  error() is fine two but it is just even a little bit more
radical. error() may also benefit from the additional closing selector.

Still, the current xslt options are fine, as an application that manages
errors, leaves @terminate mostly for testing & debugging, as well as for
that application's error management service, after closing and tidying
everything up, ready to die.  Since tests and debugs may be harder to
structure ;-}, and since in such an application, one only shuts down
once, error() is probably more useful in other context.

Although interesting, I have some doubts on how much of this is directly
related to Saxon.  Would you agree that it might now more be relevant on
the xsl list, and allow me to throw it there?

Thanks.
Cheers,
ac

  If you want a run-time error in this case, you can simply use
xsl:message with @terminate or xsl:sequence with error().  I feel
error() is not used often while this is of great help to check some
assumptions, while developing and even in production...

  Regards,

--drkm