xsl-list

RE: [xsl] document() function caching?

2008-01-31 11:25:17

There's a Saxon mailing list which you should really be using for this kind
of question: go to http://saxon.sf.net/ and work from there.

The XSLT specification requires the results of document() to be stable for
the duration of a transformation (which typically means that the results are
likely to be cached for that duration). If you reuse a JAXP Transformer,
then Saxon will hold onto this cache unless you ask otherwise (since the
only reason for reusing a Transformer is to reuse the resources it holds).
If you create a new Transformer for each transformation, which is what I
normally recommend, then I think you will get a clean cache.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill French [mailto:bfh(_at_)recommind(_dot_)com]
Sent: 31 January 2008 17:40
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: [xsl] document() function caching?

Hi all,

We're using Saxon 8 in a servlet hosted within a Tomcat 5.5
environment,
  transforming XML into XHTML via XSLT 2.0.

We've recently had to integrate our product with a client's
web portal.
The client uses web services to serve up HTML components,
e.g., document headers & footers. The HTML components are
dynamically created dependent on the user who's logged in.
The rules governing who can see what change quite often.

We're using the XSLT document function to call the web
services. Here's an example:

<xsl:copy-of
select="document('http://HOST/webservices/navigation/GetPortal
Footer')"/>

A developer on our client's side made changes to the web
service but they weren't realized in the application until
Tomcat was restarted. So, the question: does Saxon 8 cache
results of document() function calls?
If so, how would I disable this?

Thanks in advance for reading/responding.

Regards

--Bill

--~--