xsl-list

RE: [xsl] Count Ancestors Up To But Not Including a Given Type

2008-02-05 10:34:36
Hi,

I'm transforming DITA too. Yes, it's quite wide open in some repects.

To keep track of how deeply nested I am, I initialize tunnel variables (such as
OLdepth and Uldepth) at the topic element, and increment them when I hit
elements such as ol ($OLdepth + 1) or ul ($ULdepth + 1).
When you are in the li element, include the param statements, remembering to
always specify tunnel="yes". Check the parent to see which value you want.
I think this is what tunnel variables are for.

Brad

-----Original Message-----
From: Eliot Kimber [mailto:ekimber(_at_)reallysi(_dot_)com]
Sent: February 5, 2008 2:18 AM
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: [xsl] Count Ancestors Up To But Not Including a Given Type

Maybe it's the lateness of the hour but I'm finding myself stymied on what I
hope is relatively simple check.

In DITA, as in many doctypes, you can have nested lists of the form:

<ol>
  <li>
   <ol>
    <li>
    </li>
   </ol>
  </li>
</ol>

As well as an intermixing of different list types, e.g.:

<ol>
  <li>
   <ul>
    <li>
     <ol>
      <li>

What I need to do is determine, for a given li, its depth of nesting within
unbroken ancestry of a given list type.

Thus, int the first example, the deepest li is a level 2 because it has two
ancestor <ol> elements with no intervening <ul> (or other non-list element that
might occur within <li> and itself contain a list). In the second example, the
deepest <li> is a level one because there is an intervening <ul> between the
two <ol> ancestors.

I can't for the life of me figure out either a single expression or a recursive
function that will return the correct answer.

What bit of logic am I failing to see? I am using XSLT 2.

Thanks,

ELiot

--
Eliot Kimber