xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Difference in priority of node() and *

2008-02-16 06:07:09
Thanks Mike for your thoughts. Kindly see my few remarks below.

On Feb 16, 2008 2:38 PM, Michael Kay <mike(_at_)saxonica(_dot_)com> wrote:
It's certainly not a bug - there was a conscious decision that the default
priorities could not reflect subsumption relationships in all cases. Some
might consider that the design could be improved, but it's the kind of thing
that one can't change retrospectively for reasons of compatibility.

I agree, that providing backward compatibility is important. If we
swap suddenly the default priorities of * and node() patterns, then
lot of legacy code would/might break when supplied to new processors;
and that's certainly not a good idea.

But if we/everybody is convinced, that what I have said (i.e. default
priority of * should be higher than node() ) is correct; and that this
is a better design, then in future version of the language, we can
deprecate the old idea, and adopt the new design.

If you think, my points are valid, I can submit this idea in bugzilla ...

--
Regards,
Mukul Gandhi