xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Processing based on number - alternatives to recursion?

2008-03-04 09:18:50

In order to use xsl:for-each, I'd have to dispose of something
generating a node-set based on my number, wouldn't I?

yes if you know that your input document (or stylesheet is big enough) a
common trick was to use
<xsl:for-each select="(//*)[position() &lt;= Urmel]"....
which may not be any more efficient, but is a lot shorter.

in xslt2 you can go

<xsl:for-each select="1 to xs:integer(Urmel)"> ...

which is a bit nicer (it would be nicer still if you didn't have to
explicitly cast the range to an integer, but teh default casting would
lead to a double and (unlike say the arguments to substring)) the to
operator really wants an integer,

Or is this misguided optimization thinking in thinking that lots of
template invocations are bad?

If you write the recursive call as a tail recursive call as you have
done, then in most (I hope) XSLT systems this will be essentially
compiled to a loop an not take up the stack space that would naturally
implied by a deeply nested set of function calls.

David