xsl-list

RE: [xsl] XSLT collection function to get filenames

2008-03-18 06:59:34
The collection() function is defined to return nodes, so it's not directly
suitable for unparsed text (or binary) files.

With the Saxon implementation, however, you could if you wanted write a
CollectionURIResolver that reads unparsed text files and wraps the text in a
document node before returning it.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/

-----Original Message-----
From: Justin Johansson [mailto:procode(_at_)adam(_dot_)com(_dot_)au]
Sent: 18 March 2008 14:20
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: Re: [xsl] XSLT collection function to get filenames

As yet I haven't explored the facility afforded by the
XSLT/XPath 2 collection function but the question posed by
this thread spurs asking the
list:

Can the collection function be used as a general (file
system) directory scanner for non XML files given that XSLT 2
allows the loading of non XML documents via the unparsed-text
function?

It's not unexpected but my investigation found that the
(Saxon) XSLT processor complained about the text file
(containing 'the quick brown fox') was not well-formed.

      <xsl:for-each select="collection( '?select=fox.txt')">
        <xsl:value-of select="document-uri(.)"/>
      </xsl:for-each>

Thanks in advance for your kind responses.

Justin Johansson

--~--