xsl-list

RE: [xsl] Non-English languages in XSLT, XML Schema grammars

2008-04-18 12:43:43
I'm a little curious about this too, but I would guess it relates to general
cross-language capabilities in any computer language. The same question as
applied to, for example, Javascript, doesn't make as much sense - should
_fonction_ be recognized as the _function_ keyword in a document with French
encoding, or _関数_ in one with Japanese encoding? What about the original
keyword when the encoding is different?

I'm certain this conversation has taken place before somewhere. I would,
however, be interested to hear what the "official" standardized stance is on
the issue.

~ Scott

-----Original Message-----
From: Ramkumar Menon [mailto:ramkumar(_dot_)menon(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com]
Sent: Friday, April 18, 2008 2:19 PM
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: [xsl] Non-English languages in XSLT, XML Schema grammars

Gurus,

I had a question. Why is it that languages like XML Schema, XSLT etc
allow only English in the element and attribute names ?  I am not
referring to the content, but the actual elements and attributes
defined by the grammar.
i.e.  <schema>, <template>, <call-template>, <for-each>, <element>,
<attribute> etc....
Does it make any sense at all to allow these grammars itself to
support writing schemas/xslts etc in local languages.

Any designer tool can then interpret the text as per the character
encoding specified in the document declaration and render it according
to the locale/language preferences.

I know I am missing something very fundamental.

Ram

--
Shift to the left, shift to the right!
Pop up, push down, byte, byte, byte!