xsl-list

[xsl] xslt function for generating grammatical paradigms

2008-04-23 07:12:44
Dear XSLT List,

Thanks to Michael, David, and Dimitre for the quick responses to my inquiry. David's

replace($string,'(S|Z|C|St)-y', '$1E')

is just what I was looking for, but I didn't have enough experience with regular expressions in XSLT to be able to anticipate the syntax.

For what it's worth, as a diploma'd linguist whose information science skills are mostly self-taught, I am always excited to see how differently linguists and computer scientists may approach this type of problem. Linguists tend to look for sound-change rules that apply to fairly abstract underlying forms, which we think (for a variety of linguistic reasons that would be off-topic if I went into them in detail) mirror (at least to some extent) both the historical development of languages and the cognitive processes underlying language use from a synchronic perspective. This results in a compact and productive system, and one that is relatively easy to develop and maintain because it reflects our understanding of the internal operations of the language, but it may noentheless not be the most efficient way to implement such a system from a computational perspective.

Sincerely,

David
djbpitt+xml(_at_)pitt(_dot_)edu