xsl-list

[xsl] Re: [xml-dev] IRIs - Question

2008-04-23 12:58:35
XML Schema URIs are IRIs.

Cheers,
Bryan Rasmussen

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 9:48 PM, Ramkumar Menon
<ramkumar(_dot_)menon(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:
I have a WSDL/XSD file whose targetNamespace is
 http://großerJob.german.com. The namespace URI contains characters
 from german language, as you can see.
 If use a designer tool to view and validate this WSDL/XML, what should
 be the behaviour?
 a) Give an error stating that the targetNamespace is not in an anyURI format?
 b) Proceed to percent encode it and then validate the URI.[as per UTF-8
maybe]

 The confusion here is that the WSDL/Schema viewing/interpreting in the
 tool by a human would be difficult if I use all percent encodings in
 the URIs. Shouldn't the tools detect the character set and
 appropriately encode it. For instance, if I take a print out of the
 document, I would prefer to view the native language, as opposed to
 the encoded URIs.
 Humans should be able to read the URI in the viewer in the native
 language as-is, whereas any tools that intend to process it should
 treat it as a set of octets, and handle them accordingly.

 So the  Q is : Should a designer tool emit errors when it validates
 the document with the above behaviour?
 Please advise.

 Ram

 --