xsl-list

Re: [xsl] output to iso-8859-1 of non-iso characters, what is required action

2008-05-07 11:03:33
On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 5:20 PM, Michael Kay <mike(_at_)saxonica(_dot_)com>
wrote:
But if I am outputting a text document with iso-8859-1 then
 > the presence of non-iso characters in the output will raise an error.

 The spec says "should" rather than "will". XSLT 2.0 is stricter, it says
 "must".

 If you're asking what the spec says, that's the answer.
Hmm, yeah, are there any processors that don't implement the Should as
a requirement?

If you're asking why
 it says that, that's a different question.
no, I was basically asking if my interpretation was approximately
correct, or what the issues in play were. so  that's cool.
It's very hard to answer
 questions about why a WG made a particular decision even if you were at all
 the relevant meetings - which I wasn't. What one can do is try to invent a
 rationale that the WG might use to justify the decision if asked.

yeah, the same thing I was thinking. I could argue it either way actually.

One thing I was wondering about, since it says MUST in 2.0 is there an
argument there?

Cheers,
Bryan Rasmussen