xsl-list

RE: [xsl] <&#220;belkeit/> - ASCIIfied element name (LibXSLT/xsltproc)

2008-07-03 01:44:59

#### LibXSLT (1.1.22) to the rescue!

$ xsltproc ascii.xsl ascii-soll-es-werden.xml

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="us-ascii"?> <Urmel>
         <Vorspeise>S&#252;&#223;kirschen mit
K&#228;seso&#223;e</Vorspeise>
         <&#220;belkeit/>
</Urmel>

So is LibXSLT preferable in this respect? Or would I be
justified reporting this as a bug?

Since it has produced output that isn't well-formed XML, yes, you can report
it as a bug.

(By the way, do any of the SGML historians on the list know why character
references are not allowed in element and attribute names? I expect the
reason is just the usual one that committees are far more stupid than their
individual members.)

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/