xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Forgive the noob

2008-08-08 13:07:32
Chris,

If you can provide an example of the source XML as well as an example of what
the target output should be, it would help.

Don

--- On Fri, 8/8/08, Bordeman, Chris
<Chris(_dot_)Bordeman(_at_)wolterskluwer(_dot_)com> wrote:

From: Bordeman, Chris <Chris(_dot_)Bordeman(_at_)wolterskluwer(_dot_)com>
Subject: [xsl] Forgive the noob
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Date: Friday, August 8, 2008, 3:00 PM
Hi guys, doing my first XSLT and need a bit of help.

Basically, I'm transforming essentially a serialized
object structure
into a list of field-value pair nodes.

There are a lot of complicated nodes I need to get at
often, like the
first address node under the first customer so I wanted to
set up a
bunch of variables and locate and and assign helper
variables before I
get into the template proper, which is itself very simple.
I've written
some functions to help w/ this and a single named template
called "init"
I call up front to set up the variables.

The problem is when I assign to the variables inside my
named template,
they don't keep their value.  I'd just add this
stuff to the main
template but I really need to split all this init stuff
into an include
file or something so they can be reused in other xslts.

How can I make these variables visible where I need to use
them?  Here's
a bit of what I'm doing now:

      <!-- declare global helper variables -->
      <xsl:variable name="buyerfullname"
select="''"/>
      <xsl:variable name="buyeraddress"
select="''"/>
      <xsl:variable name="buyeraddress1"
select="''"/>
      <xsl:variable name="buyercsz"
select="''"/>
      <xsl:variable name="buyerhomephone"
select="''"/>
      <xsl:variable name="buyerblock"
select="''"/>

      <xsl:template name="init">
              <xsl:variable name="buyer"
select="Contract/Borrowers/Borrower[NumOrder='1']"/>
              <xsl:choose>
                      <xsl:when test="string($buyer) !=
''">
                              <xsl:variable name="buyerfullname"
select="fn:borrowerfullname($buyer)"/>
                              <xsl:variable name="buyeraddress"
select="$buyer/Addresses/BorrowerAddress[IsCurrent='true'
and
position()=1]"/>
                              <xsl:variable name="buyeraddress1"
select="fn:address1($buyeraddress)"/>
                              <xsl:variable name="buyercsz"
select="fn:csz($buyeraddress)"/>
                              <xsl:variable name="buyerhomephone"
select="$buyer/HomePhone/PhoneNumber"/>
                              <xsl:variable name="buyerblock"
select="string-join(($buyerfullname,$buyeraddress1,$buyercsz,$buyerhomep
hone),fn:crlf())"/>
                      </xsl:when>
              </xsl:choose>
      </xsl:template>

      <!-- create helper variables -->
      <xsl:call-template name="init"/>

      <!-- Main Template, generates FieldValuePairs -->
      <!-- ERRORS: I GET 'VARIABLE DOES NOT EXIST'
ERRORS -->
      <xsl:template match="/">
              <FieldValuePairs>
                      <FieldValuePair field="BuyerState">
ERROR --->                    <xsl:attribute
name="value"><xsl:value-of
select="$buyeraddress/State"/></xsl:attribute>
                      </FieldValuePair>
                      <FieldValuePair
field="BuyerFullNameStreetCityStateZipPhone">
ERROR --->                    <xsl:attribute
name="value"><xsl:value-of
select="$buyerblock"/></xsl:attribute>
                      </FieldValuePair>
              </FieldValuePairs>