xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Fill line ends with dots

2008-08-15 06:05:58
I'm looking for a way to fill the end of all lines in a (left-aligned)
block not with spaces, but with a character like a dot or a dash. I
don't think a leader is the answer here, because not only the end of
each block must be filled, but the end of each line within a block
given a certain area width, something like this (I hope the email
program doesn't mangle this):

It did for me...  :)

Heden/Vandaag, §datum §, heb ik, § adellijke titel, titel, voornamen,
------------
voorvoegsels, achternaam (kandidaat)notaris§, hierna te noemen: notaris,
------
als waarnemer van § adellijke titel, titel, voornamen,
voorvoegsels,---------------
achternaam notaris § notaris te §plaats van vestiging § deze akte
onmiddellijk--
na beperkte voorlezing en na ondertekening door partijen ondertekend ten------
overstaan van de volgende verschenen
persoon:-------------------------------------

So far I haven't tried anything but have only been thinking about
this. All I've been able to come up with is using a background image
for the lines and displaying the text over that, so that were there's
no text the background image is visible.

Is there a more direct/simple/elegant way to do this?

I think the standard way is to define a variable holding the number of
dashes to fill a line, say 10 for example:

<xsl:variable name="dashes" select=" '----------' "/>

then do:

select="concat($str, substring($dashes, string-length($str))"

--
Andrew Welch
http://andrewjwelch.com