xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Using variables in xpath attribute matches

2008-08-22 01:23:38
2008/8/21 David Carlisle <davidc(_at_)nag(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk>:

Am I trying to do something really stupid?

Apparently not, as it is one of the more frequently asked questions.

What isn't so clear is why people expect this to work this way.
I don't get the impression that on lists for C or Java or Fortran that
people expect that they can have expression fragments in strings and
then just use them inline.
in C you can't go
x=1;
var="x +";
y= var 1;

and expect that y evaluates to 2. ie x + 1 rather than be like "x+"1 (a
syntax error).

You can in Haskell though (sort of).

Perhaps all XSLT newbies are frustrated Haskel programmers, who want
to use a more widely known language?
:-)