xsl-list

RE: [xsl] order by in XPath 2.0 expression?

2008-09-25 16:19:33
This is an XQuery expression, it is not an XPath expression. XPath 2.0 has
no sorting capability; for sorting you need either XSLT or XQuery.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/

-----Original Message-----
From: Darcy Parker [mailto:darcyparker(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com]
Sent: 25 September 2008 20:43
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: [xsl] order by in XPath 2.0 expression?

Hi,

I was just reading a document about XML databases and saw
this interesting XPath expression:

for $i in /bead order by $i/text/@lang return $i

(Source:
http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/berkeley-db/pdf/over
view-of-berkeley-database-xml.pdf)

The meaning of it seems obvious - and useful.  But I have
never seen "order by" in an XPath expression before.  I had a
look online. I don't see anything about it in
http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath20/ or in Michael Kay's XSLT 2.0
and XPath 2.0 Programmer's Reference (4th edition).  As well,
I tested using it in saxon and see that it is not recognized...

Perhaps this is an Oracle extension...?  Has anyone seen this
in an XPath implementation before?

Thanks

Darcy

--~--