xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Match Commented elements

2008-10-03 10:51:04
Sounds a good idea, except it was a poor choice of name - names beginning
XML in any case combination are reserved...

and googling..... "XML Names that begin with the characters "XML" (in any case combination) are reserved by W3C for use in future recommendations."

Hmmm. Obviously didn't occur to us :-). Easy enough to fix on our end though....

But even better is to revise your development processes so that schema
change is less difficult. If people start doing sneaky things in their
document instances because it's too hard to change the schema, then you need
to make it easier to change the schema.

We deliver our schema with our product, and provide some basic training to the customer on where the schema files are, etc. They are free to modify the schema or the stylesheets themselves, but in practice they never do. In general, I get the feeling there is fairly high turnover wrt those that edit/author the instance files, so perhaps by the time anyone knows enough to feel comfortable making schema changes (or XSLT changes) themselves, they move on to other things...

I can think of one time where a schema change was requested, and we made the update (and corresponding XSLT change) and sent them a patch the same day. As long as we continue to respond quickly to such requests, they may simply always use us as their "process", but you never know...

Either way, I do keep an eye out for "sneaky things" in their instance files (we get a dump of their set once in a while), but except for the comments, so far so good...

From Andrew:
Equally as bad is where validation is stopped with the
intention of updating the schema at a later date, then it
just gets left behind.

There are certain versions of XMLSpy where our schema doesn't validate, and one of our clients had some copies of it on their machines. When using it, I heard they would make instance file changes, and when they got the validation error, they just shrugged and "saved anyway" (and in some cases, they made real editing errors in the process!).

Cheers,

...sam

www.moltek.com/axiom