xsl-list

Re: [xsl] FO: Write vertically

2008-11-02 16:07:13
At 2008-11-02 21:31 +0100, Florent Georges wrote:
"G. Ken Holman" wrote:

  Hi,

> reference-orientation isn't supposed to work on table-cell [...]
> reference-orientation isn't supposed to work on block [...]
> You need to use a block-container to get what you want:

  Ah yes.  That reminds me that I don't know FO as well as to use the
REC as my unique doc.  You are going to sell a book ;-)

I'm glad I was able to help!  I hope you find the book useful.

Even though the area in a table cell is a reference area (page 85) you'll see you cannot specify reference-orientation on <table-cell> (page 203), only on a limited number of constructs (page 491).

Knowing that a table cell is a reference area is important for conditionality (page 332). For example, space-before= is discarded at the top of a table-cell unless you specify it being retained.

But I agree it is confusing to know it is a reference area and remember that you cannot specify reference orientation on it.

Thanks for buying a copy.

p.s. did FOP work for you?

--
Upcoming XSLT/XSL-FO hands-on courses:      Wellington, NZ 2009-01
Video sample lesson:    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrNjJCh7Ppg