xsl-list

RE: [xsl] Turning escaped HTML back to markup

2008-11-17 13:44:50
Thanks for a quick reply. Yes, of course, disable-output-escaping.

Thanks

Paul

-----Original Message-----
From: Martin Honnen [mailto:Martin(_dot_)Honnen(_at_)gmx(_dot_)de]
Sent: 17 November 2008 14:32
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: Re: [xsl] Turning escaped HTML back to markup

Paul Spencer wrote:
I am exporting an Access 2003 database as XML. Some of the fields should
contain HTML, but the XML export from Access seems to escape the angle
brackets. So three questions:

1. Has anyone successfully got HTML into and out of an Access
2003 database?

2. Alternatively, I write a recursive template using lots of
substring-xxx
and xsl:element. Not too difficult, but if anyone knows of a suitable
template available to use, that would save some time.

3. Or have I missed something?

Assuming your stylesheet wants to output HTML then
disable-output-escaping helps, as long as the processor supports it:
   <xsl:value-of select="foo" disable-output-escaping="yes"/>

Assuming the escaped markup is well-formed XML  (which unfortunately
HTML often is not) then you can try to parse it with an extension
function like saxon:parse
http://www.saxonica.com/documentation/extensions/functions/parse.html

Today's thread "fault tolerant saxon:parse" also suggests you can parse
HTML tag soup by pluggin in the TagSoup parser.

--

      Martin Honnen
      http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

--~--