xsl-list

RE: [xsl] Using Java in XSLT to determine font metrics

2008-12-23 05:25:31

This is my first attempt at calling an external Java method
to do work on behalf of  a stylesheet. I'm not a Java
developer so I think I need a fairly complete "cookbook"
 description of how to do this. My objective is to determine
the exact length, in pixels,  of a given string based on the
font and font size in play.
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<xsl:stylesheet
xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"; version="2.0"
    xmlns:FontMetrics="ext://java.awt.FontMetrics">
    <xsl:output indent="yes"/>.

Your <xsl:output> statement does not contain a method attribute
and therefore defaults to 'html'.

Your objective might perhaps be solved alternatively on the
client side if relying on JavaScript is an option to you.

http://www.faqts.com/knowledge_base/view.phtml/aid/15770/fid/53
("How can you determine the width in pixels a string will
  occupy on screen?")

Hermann Stamm-Wilbrandt
Developer, XML Compiler
WebSphere DataPower SOA Appliances
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Martin Jetter
Geschäftsführung: Erich Baier
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Böblingen