xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Re: [XSL] Two "Philisophical" questions about the language

2009-01-18 05:41:21

But I do also share Michael's point of view, and see
as a limitation the fact that we can have only one document element.

Note though that is a limitation of the textual XML document syntax, not
of the XPath (XDM) document model. In Xpath you can have any number of
element children under the root and a match pattern of /*[2] is
perfectly legal and matches the second of them.

<xsl:variable name="x"/>
<a/>
<b/>
</xsl:variable>

constructs (directly in xst2 or via x:node-set() in xslt 1) a document
with three nodes a document node / which has two child element nodes a
and b.
The result of an XSLT transform can be such a document node, which can
not be serialised as an XML document but can be (and is) serialised as
an external parsed entity.

David