xsl-list

[xsl] Atypical list

2009-02-26 08:06:00
As a beginner at XSL-FO standard I have a problem with a list (enumeration).
The thing is that the list in my XML document is not typical. It consists not
only of regular enumerated items but also has “insertions”, which are integral
components of the list.

An example of such list:

<list>
  <item1>…</item1>
  <item2>…</item2>
  <insertion>…</insertion>
  <item3>…</item3>
<list>

In order to format such list, I can not use a <fo:list-block> element, because
a model of this does not allow insertions (like has been described above).
Hence, I think, ”ordinary text“ should be used. And here is a problem. An item
of the list consists of a label and content. A content element can have a quite
complex structure and is wrapped in a <fo:block> element (<fo:block> element
can also appear repeatedly at lower levels of the list item content’s
structure). The list item would be like this:

<fo:inline>
  <!—Item label here -->
</fo:inline>
<fo:block>
  <!—Item content here -->
</fo:block>

What should I do, in order to an XSL-FO to PDF processor does not break a text
line after the label?

Thanks in advance,
Konstanty.Pilecki