xsl-list

RE: [xsl] Basics of XSLT

2009-03-11 06:58:02
Hi,I am having few very basic XSL questions.

Yes, we noticed. It's good that you have recognized that it's going to be
difficult to get your code to work unless you have understood the basic
concepts first.

But mailing lists and forums aren't a good way of acquiring this
information. I'm a firm believer that the best way to get yourself up to
speed on a new technology is to spend a day or two immersed in a good book.
I could give you one-liner answers to your questions below, but you really
need to read a few pages on each of these questions, which you will find in
the opening chapter of any decent XSLT reference book (including, of course,
my own.)

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/

1.Why XSLT is actually used?and what it is exactly?

     My understanding is,it is HTML code only and XSLT can
read XML file with more ease.So one should use XSLT.
     We specity it using <xsl:output method="html"/> means
there should be other output forms also.

2.I am using XPATH to pass arguments in my perl code.

 my $results = $stylesheet->transform($source,
XML::LibXSLT::xpath_to_string(args => "$in{'args'}",val => "1")); .
     What is XPATH?and what is its significance?What this
function "XML::LibXSLT::xpath_to_string" will do?

3. <xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform";> Why
this is required at start of every XSL file?

     I think all the namespaces are defined there,all XSL
elements refer to/use to this location.
--~--