xsl-list

Re: [xsl] XSLT/XPATH 2.0

2009-04-22 11:30:48
Hello ,
I wonder, why the current browsers do not yet implement xslt/xpath 2.0 neither does php. Am I right?
There might be strategic reasons for that. XForms and SVG are not natively supported (expect for FireFox and SVG...) even though they have a major rendering contribution. And what about CSS support...
Is the xslt/xpath 2.0 recommendation rather a bubble or
does it make sense to teach it to undergraduate students? Why?
Are there signs on the horizon that xslt/xpath 2.0 will become more spread soon?
XSLT/XPath 2.0 is perfect for enterprise solutions with gigabytes of XML Data to process. XSLT at browser side is not very much used yet and will never process such quantity of data...

My XForms client-side implementation (XSLTForms : http://www.agencexml.com/xsltforms) is based on XSLT 1.0 but I would surely have preferred to use XSLT 2.0 if it were possible. Actually, XSLTForms implements its own XPath 1.0 parser written in XSLT 1.0 and XPath 1.0 engine written in Javascript. XPath 2.0 support could be considered for a future release.

As a part-time teacher, I always consider that students should learn what the future will be and not just what the present requires.

Best regards,

Alain Couthures
<agenceXML>
Bordeaux, France