xsl-list

RE: [xsl] Using external XML to control output of XSLT

2009-04-30 09:41:47

This certainly is a case where generating an XSLT stylesheet (or modifying
parts of a stylesheet) is often a useful approach. A stylesheet is just an
XML document, so it's not essentially different from any other
transformation: if you know how to write XSLT, it shouldn't be difficult to
write XSLT that generates XSLT. One thing that makes it a little bit easier
is xsl:namespace-alias.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Reed [mailto:michaelr(_at_)microsystems(_dot_)com]
Sent: 30 April 2009 14:15
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: [xsl] Using external XML to control output of XSLT

Been researching this scenario and can't find anything to
confirm whether it is possible and (if it is possible) how to
set it up. The scenario is to use a transform that would be
taking data like Name, JobTitle, Company, Phone, etc. The
transform's job is to handle the output but I would like to
have a separate XML file that controls what fields appear and
in what order for the output. So if a user who is not
familiar with transforms want to make Company first and then
the Name, they could just modify the XML file and it would be
independent of the data or transform.

I thought I had read a long time ago about using a transform
to create a transform but have been unable to find the
article or intuit the process whereby I could make this happen.

Thank you for any suggestions,
Michael Reed

--~--