xsl-list

Re: [xsl] XSL - Documentation

2009-05-05 04:07:45
Florent Georges wrote:
G. Ken Holman wrote:

I use XSLStyle that I first released publicly in 2004:

     http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/resources/#xslstyle

2) Is there a need (and a chance) for the xsl community to
focus on one singe tool, may be to encourage the software
vendors to implement support?

I doubt it.  Different strokes for different folks.  I'm amazed
to see how little documentation there is in stylesheets I'm
asked to work on.

  That's precisely why I think this would be very valuable to
have XSLStyle integrated into oXygen: to boost usage of a
documentation system in stylesheets.  I think that having to
download stylesheets in a ZIP file, install them, set catalogs
correctly, setup their stylesheets to refer to the doc system,
etc., all those steps are steps preventing some people to use any
doc system.

  Stefan, if you are happy with XSLStyle, you can maybe promote
it and ask for its support on the oXygen list?

  Regards,

I have not come across XSLStyle before, but it looks like just what I am after. (For XML-Schema, I am medium-happy with what you get, but have always wished that the set of allowed sub-elements/usual output format was docbook rather than html)

For Stylesheet documentation, my ideal would allow images that include pdf; this is because
the design brief can often be given in the form:
1. here is the XML you will get
2. here is the kind of __appearance__ we want you to create automatically (platform
  indedendent, fonts, colours, and all)

But then, quite a lot of my XSL-T is designed to produce pdf output anyway, among other
formats.

Yours Sincerely,
Ken.