xsl-list

Re: [xsl] block length

2009-05-06 10:40:35
At 2009-05-06 15:53 +0200, Konstanty Pilecki wrote:
I would be grateful for a suggestion. Here is my problem:

Let us have a piece of XSL-FO code like this:

<flow>
        <block id="b1"> ... </block>
        <block id="b2" margin-left="???"> ... </block>
        ?
</flow>

How can I force the "b2" block to have a left margin equal to the length of the
"b1" block?

I think the answer depends on what is between the two blocks.

Certainly in XSL-FO there is no way to measure the length of the "b1" block, and use that measurement.

It looks to me like you may be able to use tables with auto layout (though this is uncertain because each vendor can implement the auto layout column width determination using their own algorithms), or possibly better still would be putting "b1" into a side float and "b2" into regular flow. Putting the text of "b1" into a keep-together.within-line would mean the side float would end up as wide as the text.

This is a technique I've used for things like definition lists.

But it may not work depending on what you want to flow between the two blocks.

I hope this gives you some useful ideas.

--
XSLT/XSL-FO/XQuery hands-on training - Los Angeles, USA 2009-06-08
G. Ken Holman                 mailto:gkholman(_at_)CraneSoftwrights(_dot_)com