xsl-list

RE: [xsl] conditional multiple outputs

2009-05-14 07:14:31

You might be interested that this problem is one of the use cases the XSL WG
is studying in its work on streaming: how to generate multiple output files
from a single input file processed in a single pass. We refer to it as the
"coloured widget" problem based on the way it was originally expressed by
Oliver Becker. (Who, like three-and-a-half of the contributors so far to
this thread, happens to be German. Odd coincidence.)

Regards,

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/
http://twitter.com/michaelhkay

-----Original Message-----
From: drame(_at_)informatik(_dot_)hu-berlin(_dot_)de
[mailto:drame(_at_)informatik(_dot_)hu-berlin(_dot_)de]
Sent: 14 May 2009 11:36
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: [xsl] conditional multiple outputs

Hi,

I am trying to generate multiple output files in a single
template (see xsl file below). The scenario is the following:

1. I read elements <title> one after the other from a input
file "content.xml"
2. if the text of the element <title> begins with the
substring "file 1", then copy the element to the output file
file1.xml, if it begins with "file 2" then output to
file2.xml, else copy the element to file3.xml.

The processor I use is Saxon B on .NET and XLST version is
2.0. But my script does not work since I always have
following error message:

E:\test\xsl>Transform -s:"e:\test\xsl\content.xml"
-xsl:"e:\test\xsl\import.xsl
Error at xsl:choose on line 8 of file:///e:/test/xsl/import.xsl:
  XTDE1490: Cannot write more than one result document to the
same URI, or write to a URI
  that has been read: file:/E:/test/xsl/file2.xml
Transformation failed: Run-time errors were reported

Here are the script and the input file content.xml:

<!--content.xml-->
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<groups>
        <group>
                <title>file 1 xxx </title>
                <title>file 2 efg </title>
        </group>
        <group>
                <title>file 2 xxx </title>
                <title>file 3 abc </title>
        </group>
        <group>
                <title>file 1 abc </title>
                <title>file 3 xyz </title>
        </group>
        <group>
                <title>file 2 zzz </title>
                <title>file 2 ihk </title>
        </group>
</groups>

<!--multipleOutput.xsl-->
<?xml version="1.0"?>
version="2.0">
        <xsl:output method="xml" indent="yes" encoding="utf-8"/>
        <xsl:template name="test" match="/">
                <xsl:for-each select="groups/group">
                        <xsl:for-each select="title">
                                <xsl:variable
name="textOfTheElementTitle"
select="substring(./text(), 1, 6)"/>
                                <xsl:choose>
                                        <xsl:when
test="matches($textOfTheElementTitle,
'file 1', 'i')">

<xsl:result-document href="file1.xml">

<contentOfTitleElmt>

  <xsl:value-of select="./text()"/>

</contentOfTitleElmt>
                                                </xsl:result-document>
                                        </xsl:when>
                                        <xsl:when
test="matches($textOfTheElementTitle,
'file 2', 'i')">

<xsl:result-document href="file2.xml">

<contentOfTitleElmt>

  <xsl:value-of select="./text()"/>

</contentOfTitleElmt>
                                                </xsl:result-document>
                                        </xsl:when>
                                        <xsl:otherwise>

<xsl:result-document href="file3.xml">

<contentOfTitleElmt>

  <xsl:value-of select="./text()"/>

</contentOfTitleElmt>
                                                </xsl:result-document>
                                        </xsl:otherwise>
                                </xsl:choose>
                        </xsl:for-each>
                </xsl:for-each>
        </xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>

Does somebody know why it does not work? Should I use another
function than xsl:result-document?

Many thanks in advance,
Regards

Horace