xsl-list

[xsl] Processing XML Efficiently Program Announced

2009-06-09 12:09:22
PROGRAM NOW AVAILABLE
International Symposium on Processing XML Efficiently:
Overcoming Limits on Space, Time, or Bandwidth

Monday August 10, 2009
Hotel Europa, Montréal, Canada

Chair: Michael Kay, Saxonica
Symposium description:  http://www.balisage.net/Processing/
Detailed Program: http://www.balisage.net/Processing/Program.html
Registration: http://www.balisage.net/registration.html

Developers have said it: "XML is too slow!", where "slow" can mean many things including elapsed time, throughput, latency, memory use, and bandwidth consumption.

The aim of this one-day symposium is to understand these problems better and to explore and share approaches to solving them. We'll hear about attempts to tackle the problem at many levels of the processing stack. Some developers are addressing the XML parsing bottleneck at the hardware level with custom chips or with hardware-assisted techniques. Some researchers are looking for ways to compress XML efficiently without sacrificing the ability to perform queries, while others are focusing on the ability to perform queries and transformations in streaming mode. We'll hear from a group who believe the problem (and its solution) lies not with the individual component technologies that make up an application, but with the integration technology that binds the components together.

We'll also hear from someone who has solved the problems in real life, demonstrating that it is possible to build XML-based applications handling very large numbers of documents and a high throughput of queries while offering good response time to users. And that with today's technologies, not tomorrow's.

If you are interested in this symposium we invite you to read about
"Balisage: The Markup Conference", which follows it in the same location:
http://www.balisage.net/

Questions: info(_at_)balisage(_dot_)net