xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Elegant way to create an empty line

2009-07-05 08:07:58
At 2009-07-05 13:58 +0200, Jan Hoeft wrote:
is there an elegant way to create empty lines using block elements?

My template is quite simple:

<xsl:template match="p">
  <fo:block>
     <xsl:apply-templates/>
  </fo:block>
</xsl:template>

How do I tell FO to create a new line for each <p/>?

Do you mean to leave a blank between the previous block and this block?

  <fo:block space-before="1em">

Do you mean to leave a blank between this block and the next block?

  <fo:block space-after="1em">

In both cases, when that space is at the very beginning or very end of a reference area (say a column), the space is discarded. This is very helpful when displaying continuous blocks across multiple columns/pages.

If, however, you are asking about creating an empty line regardless of the content of the element, that would be:

  <fo:block><fo:leader/></fo:block>

This is more elegant than using a non-breaking space or other special graphic character. And more elegant than using regular spaces in combination with properties that prevent their collapse.

But I am unclear about your question in that you are asking about empty lines yet your template is quite obviously adding the content of your paragraph to the result tree.

I hope this helps.

--
Possible July/August XSLT/XQuery/XSL-FO training in Oakland/CA/USA
G. Ken Holman                 mailto:gkholman(_at_)CraneSoftwrights(_dot_)com