xsl-list

RE: [xsl] Diff between Saxon and InstantSaxon ?

2009-08-11 12:51:27

I am still using Saxon 6 as well as 9 as when I last tried using V9 for DocBook
Chunked Html generation I got a message from it saying that chunked output was
not available from Saxon 9 (or possibly that the DocBook  stylesheets at that
time (probably over a year ago) wouldn't run with XSL 2).

Can anyone/Michael indicate whether this is still the 0.1% that needs to stay
with Saxon 6, or is it time to upgrade my DocBook system ?

Appreciatively,
Richard.

PS
Sorry for replying to such an old email - I've just got back from holiday .....

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Kay [mailto:mike(_at_)saxonica(_dot_)com]
Sent: 05 August 2009 20:24
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: RE: [xsl] Diff between Saxon and InstantSaxon ?

However on page:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/saxon/

I can download an "InstantSaxon v6.5.2"

What are the differences ?

InstantSaxon is a very old product designed in the days when Microsoft
shipped Windows with a built-in Java VM. It won't work unless
you can get
hold of a copy of the Microsoft JVM. However, the SourceForge
policy is that
once a product is released, it remains forever available.

There's also Saxon 6.5.5 which is the last version of the
Saxon XSLT 1.0
processor. Quite a few people are using that who for one
reason or another
don't want to upgrade to XSLT 2.0, but I wouldn't recommend
it: Saxon 9.1
handles XSLT 1.0 stylesheets with 99.9% compatibility and better
performance.

Saxon 9.2 is about to hit the streets: the packaging is
changed so there are
now three editions: Enterprise (EE), Professional (PE), and
Home (HE). The
Home Edition is open source; Saxon-EE is essentially a
renaming of Saxon-SA
to reflect the fact that it offers much more than
schema-awareness, and PE
is designed as a low-cost commercial product to meet the needs of most
commercial users. I'll talk more about it in due course.

Regards,

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/
http://twitter.com/michaelhkay