xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Japanese/Chinese period

2009-08-17 15:03:18
On Mon, Aug 17 2009 18:02:05 +0100, xmlmarkup(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)com wrote:
I have encountered an issue where Japanese/Chinese period add a space

About the only time you don't get space after the period is when it's
followed by another punctuation character.  For Japanese, see the
Requirements for Japanese Layout [1].

at the end of sentences because it is a double byte character. The
translated data is stored a database. The issue that I am having is
due to this space the superscripted bibliography references will fall
on the line below the sentences they are associated with and appear as
stragglers. The documents are displayed in a two-column format.

You could add a zero-width word joiner before the superscript, or you
could move the superscript before the period, since it's possible that
the formatter would produce better results if it can hang a period at
the end of a line out into the margin.

Sorry I can't be more specific, but I've got a plane to cacch.

Regards,

Tony Graham
Tony(_dot_)Graham(_at_)MenteithConsulting(_dot_)com
Director                                  W3C XSL FO SG Invited Expert
Menteith Consulting Ltd                               XML Guild member
XML, XSL and XSLT consulting, programming and training
Registered in Ireland - No. 428599   http://www.menteithconsulting.com
xmlroff XSL Formatter                               http://xmlroff.org
xslide Emacs mode                  http://www.menteith.com/wiki/xslide
Unicode: A Primer                               urn:isbn:0-7645-4625-2

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/NOTE-jlreq-20090604/#en-subheading2_1_2