xsl-list

RE: [xsl] Creating multiple PDF files from a single XSL-FO script

2009-08-19 17:31:49
Mark,

I gave up on trying to create multiple PDF files from my XSL
script and split my index into 26 files. I tried to run a
batch file with entries like:

 fop -d -c fopConfiguration.xml -xml work\A.xml -xsl
SLT\22Headingpdf.xsl  -pdf work\a.pdf  fop -d -c
fopConfiguration.xml -xml work\B.xml -xsl
SLT\22Headingpdf.xsl  -pdf work\b.pdf  fop -d -c
fopConfiguration.xml -xml work\C.xml -xsl
SLT\22Headingpdf.xsl  -pdf work\c.pdf  fop -d -c
fopConfiguration.xml -xml work\D.xml -xsl
SLT\22Headingpdf.xsl  -pdf work\d.pdf ...
 fop -d -c fopConfiguration.xml -xml work\Z.xml -xsl
SLT\22Headingpdf.xsl  -pdf work\z.pdf

That is, running my XSLT script on the individual index files.
The first entry works, and creates my first PDF file (a.pdf),
but FOP  exits the batch file after running the first entry -
the later lines are never run.

So, two questions:
(1) Can I prevent FOP from exiting the batch file?
(2) Or, should I be asking this question on another list, and
if so, which one?

I am doing exactly what you are trying to do.  The key is to start each
command in your batch file (assuming DOS batch file) with the call
command.  This prevents the external application from terminating your
batch file.  Here is an example of a line from my batch file:

call C:\temp\fop-0.95\fop.bat -xml
c:\temp\_plmReportingData\tpm\xml\tpmDump.xml -xsl
c:\temp\_plmReportingData\tpm\fo\tpmSIPTBlueReleased.xsl -pdf
c:\temp\_plmReportingData\tpm\pdf\tpmSIPT_BlueReleased.pdf

Hope this helps,

Mark J. Miller