xsl-list

Re: [xsl] "Higher Order Functions for XQuery" -- static context and focus

2009-09-04 08:53:08
John Snelson wrote:
Florent Georges wrote:

  Hi John,

  I am not sure to understand what does "the static type of
the focus" mean.  The focus is a component of the dynamic
context, and I am not sure "type" is used here as in the rest
of the RECs.

I think this should probably read "static type of the context
item".

  Then the sentence "the static type of the focus (context item,
context position, and context size)" is misleading, as we know
the type of the position and the size ;-)  And if we speak about
the static type of the context item, I guess this is related to
static analysis...

I guess I missed the point behind this choice.  Any idea?

It's for consistency with the rest of XQuery / XSLT 2.0, where
the focus (context item, position, and size) are initially
undefined in a user defined function.

  So the goal is to say "the focus in the dynamic context is
initally undefined in the body of an inline function," if I am
right.

Arguments as to whether that's a good restriction are a
different can of worms altogether :-).

  I won't take that discussion path right now ;-)

  Regards,

--
Florent Georges
http://www.fgeorges.org/