xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Fixed attribute problems on change from DTD to schema

2009-09-28 13:26:02
2009/9/28 G. Ken Holman <gkholman(_at_)cranesoftwrights(_dot_)com>:
At 2009-09-29 05:42 +1300, Trevor Nicholls wrote:

Thank you Ken; it's a bit inconvenient (having assumed the wrong outcome
begin with) but if I can't work around it easily I can feel justified
asking
for approval to go to the commercial version.

If you know in your stylesheet what the default value is supposed to be, the
work-around is quite straightforward:

   ( @attribute-name, $default-value )[1]

Because the predicate selects the first of the sequence, and if the
attribute is absent then the default value becomes the first of the
sequence.

This isn't ideal though because a change in the default value means a
change is required in two places.  A much better solution (imho) is to
not rely on validation to augment your input, leave the defaults
defined just in one place (in the application that processes the xml).

--
Andrew Welch
http://andrewjwelch.com