xsl-list

[xsl] Is it possible to modify an XML by XSLT "in-place" (directly replace) ?

2009-10-08 02:20:51
Normally the user applys an XSLT style sheet onto a source XML file or variable
and the result XML will be stored into ANOTHER file or variable.
Thats the "traditional" way of processing XSLT.

But what, if I want to replace the original file or variable completely?
Ok, I could do this after the actual XSLT processing in another step by
copying the result file/variable back to the source and delete the temporary
help file/variable.

But I could imagine that XSLT (1 or 2) offers a smarter, shorter way which let
me DIRECTLY
replace the original "in-place".

Maybe a parameter must be set on the top of the style-Sheet like

<xsl:replaceoriginal="yes"/>

or something similar. In this case the XSLT process could keep the result
(only) internally
and do the replace as last step.

Is this possible?

Ben