xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Benefits of using xsl:key

2009-11-05 11:53:32
Jesper,

At 04:34 AM 11/5/2009, you wrote:
The above is of cause only one type of dataset, but it shows to me
that xsl:key can make a big difference and that fine tuning a
template's match attribute can make a big difference.

But it must all be done carefully, and it is necessary to analyze the
dataset to find the best approach, and to test different approaches in
order to find the best one (fast).

This thread is fascinating and informative: thanks for instigating it.

But I hasten to add that your findings are relevant to Saxon and may not (probably will not) be the same for other processors. There, use of key() may make less or (in many cases) even more of a difference.

This doesn't make the findings useless: on the contrary. But it does suggest, once again, that it is easy to overgeneralize when it comes to optimization. I can't count the times I have talked with students (usually fairly advanced ones) about contortions in their code, rationalized on the basis of optimization, which actually offered no effective advantages in practice. :-)

Cheers,
Wendell

Wendell Piez